The LNP has released a comprehensive energy plan that will save an average Queensland household an average of $160 a year over the next two years, increasing to $460 by the 2020.
Hinchinbrook MP, Andrew Cripps, said the LNP was determined to confront the crippling cost of energy prices for Queensland households and businesses, with a range of no-nonsense polices.
Mr Cripps said North Queensland communities and industries were feeling the heat from increasing energy prices, as a result of an irresponsible and incompetent Palaszczuk Government.
“Labor has been spending taxpayers’ money on renewable energy subsidies and loading up our state owned power companies with debt, while continuing to strip out dividends” said Mr Cripps.
“The Palaszczuk Government has merged state owned energy companies which has actually reduced competition in the market and supported unrealistic renewable energy targets” he said.
The LNP’s bold eight point plan to drive down power prices for Queensland consumers includes:
- Build with the private sector a coal-fired, base load power station in North Queensland to boost supply, provide cheaper prices and create jobs;
- Restructure Queensland’s state owned energy generators to increase competition and lower wholesale prices;
- Freeze state owned energy company executive bonuses until electricity prices decrease;
- End subsidies for renewable energy, saving households $115 a year from 2020;
- Scrap Labor’s 50 per cent Renewable Energy Target, saving households $200 a year from 2020;
- Remove the non-reversion policy in regional Queensland so all Queenslanders have choice about who they buy their electricity from;
- Put consumer representatives on the boards of state owned energy businesses; and,
- Write-down the Regulated Asset Base of Energy Queensland by $2 billion so Queenslanders don’t pay for Labor’s gold plating.
“This policy is a responsible, realistic and real plan to reduce energy costs – the LNP has listened carefully to Queensland households and businesses and we will take action if we are elected”.
Mr Cripps said the Queensland LNP would support the Federal Government’s National Energy Guarantee, to make sure there is a secure and affordable supply of power for all consumers.